Future Of Business Canadian 5th Edition By Althouse – Test Bank
1. What is the set of forces that that prompt a person to release energy in a certain direction?
2. What are things such as satisfaction, contentment, a sense of accomplishment, confidence, and pride that are part of the job and valued by the individual?
b. extrinsic rewards
c. intrinsic rewards
d. internal compensation
3. What are things such as pay raises, bonuses, promotions, and prestigious assignments that are valued by the individual?
a. Intrinsic rewards
d. Extrinsic rewards
4. Who was the father of scientific management?
a. Elton Mayo
b. Abraham Maslow
c. Adam Smith
d. Frederick Taylor
5. Frederick Taylor’s scientific management emphasized which of the following concepts?
a. work efficiency
c. policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
d. worker morale
6. According to Frederick Taylor’s scientific management theory, what is the most important motivator in the workplace?
b. good communication
c. shorter hours
7. Frederick Taylor’s scientific management had four basic principles. Which of the following is one of those principles?
a. scientifically select, train, teach, and develop workers
b. analyze every task into 30-second intervals
c. managers should evaluate employees on efficiency
d. workers have to minimize movement to maximize productivity
8. Frederick Taylor’s scientific management theory has one fundamental flaw. Which of the following best describes that flaw?
a. It doesn’t take in too consideration changes in technology.
b. It was developed a long time ago and doesn’t apply to today.
c. It assumes all people are primarily motivated by economic factors.
d. It is too scientific, doesn’t consider human factors.
9. Which of the following would be evident in a manufacturing company in which industrial engineers have maximized efficiency by determining the best way to perform every task from tightening a bolt to operating a forklift?
a. scientific management
b. equity theory
c. the Hawthorne effect
d. expectancy theory
10. The original Hawthorne studies were set up to study which of the following?
a. testing used in the selection of employees
b. employee incentives
c. employee breaks