IndustrialOrganizational Psychology An Applied Approach 8th Edition by Michael G. Aamodt – Test Bank
1. Communication that flows directly from one employee to her supervisor is:
a. upward communication
b. downward communication
c. serial communication
d. horizontal communication
2. ______ communication reduces the number of people who can talk to the top executive.
3. A top executive never receives negative information from her staff. This is known
as _______ and is a disadvantage of _____ communication.
a. proximity effect / downward
b. MUM effect / horizontal
c. MUM effect / serial
d. proximity / serial
4. Which of the following statements probably refers to a problem associated with an “open door” policy rather than serial communication?
a. Potential for excessive communication
b. Message content is often modified
c. Bad news is seldom relayed
d. The physical distance reduced accuracy
5. A communication method that facilitates upward communication by asking employees to
rate their opinions on such things as pay or working conditions is known as the ______.
a. complaint box
b. union steward
d. attitude survey
6. ______ is an easily employed method which allows employees to communicate their opinions,
complaints, suggestions, etc., to management at virtually any time.
a. An attitude survey
b. A suggestion box
c. A memo
d. A liaison
7. Which of the following is NOT a method to facilitate upward communication?
a. Complaint box
b. Bulletin board
d. Attitude survey
8. _______ communication flows directly from a supervisor to employee.
9. A ____ contains all of the specific rules under which an organization operates and is a method of ______ communication.
a. policy manual / downward
b. employee handbook / downward
c. policy manual / upward
d. employee handbook / upward
10. Which of the following methods of downward communication is often lengthy and difficult to
b. Telephone calls
c. Policy manuals