Introduction to International Disaster Management 3rd Edition By Damon P. Coppola – Test Bank
Chapter 10: Participants: Multilateral Organizations and International Financial Institutions
1. Which of the following defines the term multilateral organization?
a. An organization that involves many levels of governments, including local, regional, and national
b. An organization whose members come from all regions of the world
*c. An organization composed of the central governments of sovereign nations
d. An organization whose function is to assist national governments with managing the diverse range of disasters that affect their nations
2. The United Nations was established in the aftermath of which of the following events?
a. The Spanish Influenza Pandemic
b. The UN was created independent of any international event.
c. World War I
*d. World War II
3. Which of the following countries is not one of the five permanent members of the United Nations?
d. The Soviet Union
4. Which of the following UN agencies heads the UN response to emergency situations?
a. UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
b. The UN Development Programme (UNDP)
*c. The UN Office of the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA)
d. The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
5. Which of the following most commonly carries out UN mitigation and preparedness projects?
*a. The UN country offices
b. UN Office of Mitigation and Preparedness
d. The Secretary General
6. Which of the following of the UN “organs” carries out the day-to-day work of the United Nations?
a. The General Assembly
b. The Security Council
c. The Trusteeship Council
*d. The Secretariat
7. Prior to 1991, which of the following UN organizations managed natural disasters?
*a. UN Disaster Relief Coordinator
b. Department of Humanitarian Affairs
c. Emergency Relief Coordinator
d. UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
8. Which of the following may be established by UNOCHA in the field, to assist local first-response teams to coordinate the often-overwhelming international representation of relief agencies that respond to a disaster?
a. UN Disaster Assessment and Coordination (UNDAC) team
*b. On-Site Operations Coordination Center (OSOCC)
c. Humanitarian coordinator (HC)
d. UN Emergency Relief Coordinator (ERC)
9. Which of the following UN organizations, based in Geneva, was created to “expedite the provision of international humanitarian assistance.”
a. The Executive Committee on Humanitarian Affairs (ECHA)
*b. The OCHA Emergency Services Branch (ESB)
c. The Coordination and Response Division (CRD)
d. The OCHA Donor Relations Section (DRS)
10. Which emergency management functions were transferred from the OCHA Emergency Relief Coordinator to the UNDP in 1997, under the UN Programme for Reform?
a. Response and recovery
b. Mitigation, preparedness, and recovery
*c. Mitigation and preparedness
d. Mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery