Choose the letter of the best answer.
1. What is Chartres cathedral best known as?
A) The last cathedral built in Romanesque style
B) The first Gothic cathedral
C) The most elaborate medieval structure in Paris
D) A symbol of key features of the Middle Ages
2. Schools and universities were set up to do which of the following?
A) Prepare students to run the civil administration of local states and principalities
B) Give students the same education that students would have received at Plato’s Academy in ancient Athens
C) Train future priests and monks
D) Teach future scientists about the scientific method
3. Students studying the quadrivium focused on
A) grammar, rhetoric, logic, and astrology.
B) physical education, music, literature, and logic.
C) arithmetic, geometry, music, and astronomy.
D) the Old Testament, the New Testament, patristic writings, and the creeds.
4. In the twelfth century, European scholars began to study the logic of Aristotle with the help of
A) Athenian philosophers.
B) scholars from Constantinople who taught Greek to western students.
C) Jewish linguists who had relocated to France when the Muslims expelled them from Spain.
D) translations from Arabic into Latin.
5. What did Peter Abelard find even more difficult to bear than his castration?
A) His separation from Heloise
B) The disapproval of Heloise’s uncle
C) His inability to continue teaching
D) The condemnation of his book by the Council of Soissons
6. Like Peter Abelard, Peter the Chanter gained renown for his
A) illicit love affairs.
B) lectures and disputations.
C) efforts at religious reform.
D) attempts to convert non-Christians to the faith.
7. Why did universities refuse to enroll women during the Middle Ages?
A) There were simply no women capable of enrolling, since nearly all women at the time were illiterate.
B) Masters and students were considered clerics, and as a result women had no chance of enrolling.
C) They lacked housing that could accommodate women, and co-ed housing was regarded as immoral.
D) They regarded all women as corrupting temptresses who would divert men from their chosen path of study.
8. The Gothic style was first associated with which of the following?
A) The Capetian kings of France
B) The papacy
C) The Norman kings of England
D) The Italian cities
9. What is Gregorian chant most closely associated with?
A) Troubadour poetry
B) Romanesque churches
C) Pope Gregory
D) The Franciscan order
10. Which of the following is most characteristic of Gothic architecture?
A) Low ceilings and broad interior spaces
B) Pointed arches and stained glass
C) Stone construction
D) Dark interiors