Practice Exam 1
1. Which of the following is the primary benefit of numeric filing?
A. Patient confidentiality is preserved
B. Only the patients’ names must be shown on the labels of the files
C. Files may be stored either vertically or horizontally
D. Color-coding is not necessary
E. Less storage space is required
2. If a patient is unresponsive, which of the following should be assessed first?
A. Blood pressure
D. Muscle tone
3. The receptionist who is responsible for opening the medical office must arrive how long before office hours begin?
A. 45 to 60 minutes
B. 30 to 45 minutes
C. 15 to 20 minutes
D. 5 to 10 minutes
E. More than 60 minutes
4. Which of the following information is obtained from a completed daysheet?
A. Credit bureau accounts
B. Annual gross income of a medical practice
C. Amount in a petty cash fund
D. Accounts receivable data
E. Withheld payroll taxes
5. Which of the following organisms commonly causes toxic shock syndrome?
A. Myconacterium leprae
B. Staphylococcus aureus
C. Haemophilus ducreyi
D. Neisseria meningitides
E. Neisseria gonorrhoeae
6. Which of the following white blood cells is the smallest in size?
7. A patient must pay $400 per year for medical expenses before the insurance company will begin to cover any expenses. Which of the following terms describes this payment?
8. Pulmonary arteries
A. Send blood toward the heart
B. Transfer oxygenated blood away from the heart
C. Transfer low-oxygen blood to the lungs
D. Are very small vessels that connect with veins
E. Transfer blood to the brain
9. Which of the following is the most effective way to educate new patients about office policies?
A. Distribute patient information booklets
B. Distribute office procedure manuals
C. Distribute videotapes
D. Distribute newsletters
E. Make appointments for formal patient orientation sessions
10. The term cryptorchidism means?
A. Inflammation of the penis
B. Undescended testicle
C. Ligation of the vas deferens
D. Herniation of the scrotum
E. Decreased sperm count
11. When collecting a specimen for throat culture, a medical assistant should swab which of the following structures?
D. Buccal mucosa
E. Hard palate
12. Which of the following is the most appropriate study to detect breast abscesses?
D. MUGA scan
13. A disadvantage of single-entry bookkeeping is that it
A. Is the most expensive system to set up
B. Is hard to learn
C. Makes errors hard to spot
D. Is time-consuming
E. Is very rare in medical practices