Psychology Themes And Variations 5th Edition By Wayne Weiten – Test Bank
1. How do psychologists define development?
a. the sequence of age-related changes that occur as a person progresses from birth to adulthood
b. the sequence of age-related changes that occur as a person progresses from conception to death
c. changes across the life span that result due to learning and socialization
d. maturity associated with adulthood
2. What are developmental changes?
a. behavioural changes that take place as people mature
b. biological changes that are predetermined based on genotype
c. changes in social behaviour that indicate underlying cognitive abilities
d. biological and behavioural changes that occur across the life span
3. Traditionally, psychologists have been interested in development during childhood. What has changed about the focus of developmental psychology in recent decades?
a. The focus has shifted toward the prenatal period.
b. The focus has expanded to include adolescence.
c. The focus has expanded to include the whole life span.
d. The focus has shifted toward infancy.
4. What is smallest unit that contains all of the DNA for a human?
a. the zygote
b. the embryo
c. the fetus
d. the chromosome
5. What is the first stage of prenatal development?
6. Penny conceived a baby seven days ago, and she does not yet know she is pregnant. In what stage is her pregnancy?
7. What is the structure that allows oxygen and nutrients to pass from the mother to the fetus?
8. Which terms are used to describe the cluster of developing human cells prior to implantation in the uterine wall, and then after implantation?
a. zygote, then embryo
b. fetus, then zygote
c. zygote, then fetus
d. embryo, then fetus
9. What aspect of development is included in the embryonic stage of prenatal development?
a. formation of a zygote
b. implantation of the fertilized egg into the uterine wall
c. second through eighth weeks of prenatal development
d. last seven months of the pregnancy
10. During which stage of development do the heart, spine, and brain emerge?