Guide to Network Defense and Countermeasures 3rd Edition By Randy Weaver – Test Bank
Chapter 11 – VPN Concepts
1. Another name for a VPN connection is tunnel.
ANS: T PTS: 1 REF: 386
2. Hardware VPNs create a gateway-to-gateway VPN.
ANS: T PTS: 1 REF: 388
3. Standards and protocols used in VPNs are in their infancy and seldom used.
ANS: F PTS: 1 REF: 391
4. IPsec has become the standard set of protocols for VPN security.
ANS: T PTS: 1 REF: 394
5. If you use Windows RRAS for your VPN, you will need a third-party RADIUS server if you want to use RADIUS for authentication.
ANS: F PTS: 1 REF: 419
1. Which of the following is NOT an essential element of a VPN?
a. VPN server c. VPN client
b. tunnel d. authentication server
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: 387
2. Which of the following is a type of VPN connection?
a. site-to-server c. server-to-client
b. client-to-site d. remote gateway
ANS: B PTS: 1 REF: 388
3. Which of the following is NOT true about a hardware VPN?
a. should be the first choice for fast-growing networks c. have more security vulnerabilities than software VPNs
b. can handle more traffic than software VPNs d. create a gateway-to-gateway VPN
ANS: C PTS: 1 REF: 388
4. Which of the following is true about software VPNs?
a. more cost-effective than hardware VPNs c. usually less flexible than hardware VPNs
b. best when all router and firewall hardware is the same d. configuration is easy since there is no OS to rely upon
ANS: A PTS: 1 REF: 389
5. Which of the following is NOT a factor a secure VPN design should address?
a. encryption c. nonrepudiation
b. authentication d. performance
ANS: C PTS: 1 REF: 390-391
6. Which of the following is true about using VPNs?
a. more expensive than leased lines c. usually higher performance than leased lines
b. can use an existing broadband connection d. not dependent on an ISP
ANS: B PTS: 1 REF: 391
7. Which activity performed by VPNs encloses a packet within another packet?
a. address translation c. authentication
b. encryption d. encapsulation
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: 391
8. Which VPN protocol leverages Web-based applications?
a. PPTP c. SSL
b. L2TP d. IPsec
ANS: C PTS: 1 REF: 392
9. Which VPN protocol is a poor choice for high-performance networks with many hosts due to vulnerabilities in MS-CHAP?
a. SSL c. IPsec
b. L2TP d. PPTP
ANS: D PTS: 1 REF: 393
10. Which VPN protocol uses UDP port 1701 and does not provide confidentiality and authentication?
a. IPsec c. PPTP
b. L2TP d. SSL
ANS: B PTS: 1 REF: 393